Website West Coast Code Consultants, Inc.
West Coast Code Consultants, Inc. (WC3) is currently seeking a client-focused Fire and Life Safety Professional to join our Fire Prevention team in Salt Lake City, UT. This position offers great opportunity for a dynamic self-starter to work on a variety of interesting assignments and to grow professionally. The selected candidate(s) will work closely with our experienced team of fire protection engineers and certified fire prevention specialists. You will gain an unprecedented knowledge of adopted fire and building codes as well as the NFPA standards. Candidates will be responsible for reviewing construction plans and other documents involving fire and life safety, fire detection and protection systems, smoke control and management, hazardous material storage and use, emergency responder radio coverage systems, fire access, fire flow, means of egress, and much more.
This is an open position, available to be filled in our Layton or Sandy Regional Offices in Utah.
- A bachelor’s degree in fire protection engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or closely related field.
- Proficient regulatory knowledge in all aspects of fire and life safety, NFPA codes and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic media and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have valid driver’s license and good driving history.
- Coordinate with jurisdictions, fire districts, and permit applicants to ensure that complete permit submittal documents are provided for review.
- Examine and perform detailed fire and life safety plan reviews to verify compliance with all applicable fire codes, fire access, water supplies, types of construction, allowable heights, and areas, means of egress, and more.
- Examine and perform detailed plan reviews of fire detection and protection systems such as fire sprinklers, fire alarms, standpipes, fire pumps, and more.
- Prepare or write clear and concise comment letters to communicate deficiencies, referencing the pertaining fire code or safety regulations. Communicate with project owners and design teams about deficiencies and solutions to help ensure successful projects.
- Visit inspections sites, as needed, to inspect fire detection and protection installations for compliance with the appropriate fire codes, applicable regulations and the approved plans and specifications.
- Answer questions by email, telephone, or in the field regarding: code requirements for fire access, means of egress, fire detection and protection, water supply, types of construction and other fire code related questions.
- Operate computer equipment and software to perform plan reviews, generate comment letters, maintain inspection records and notices.
- Maintain knowledge and expertise in fire safety regulations, fire codes, materials, and techniques.
- Using principles of good customer service, establish and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with co-workers and jurisdictional clients, including client employees, applicants, contractors, and design teams.
- Must keep accurate records and logs of plan review status, inspections, and completion of projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
- Physical demands include working in an office setting, sitting, or standing for long periods with computers. Visits to inspection sites may consist of hazards, requiring a high degree of attention and caution.
- Report for scheduled work with regular, reliable, and punctual attendance.
- Job requires the ability to drive.
- $70K – $95K / Annually, Depending on Experience
- Medical Insurance Plans
- Dental & Vision Reimbursement
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Voluntary Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with 6% Employer Matching
- Discretionary 401(k) Profit Sharing Contribution
- Discretionary Bonus Program
- 15 Days Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 8 Full-Day Paid Holidays
- 2 Half-Day Paid Holidays
- Family Medical Leave
- Health & Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Work Schedules when Feasible
- Business Casual Dress Environment
West Coast Code Consultants, Inc. (WC3) provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.